seriously, like seriously. Music is for the Soulful
HELLO♥
Rebecca Sharon Fok

carpe diem ☮☮☮

tell me
♥





cool links ☮
Run away from me


FML

John Mayer

Youtube

Threadless

Link

Link
Credits

Please do not remove the credits.

Layout/Editor: xoxoxoxo



12:53 PM - Wednesday, December 28, 2011

A role model?
Do you have one? Now, take some time to think about this person. Is she your mother, grand parent, a stranger, a sibling, your teacher or the tuckshop vendor at your primary school? Why do you consider him/her a role model? Is it because of the idea you have of him/her, the things they preach or because of their actions? Do their actions define them or are they one of those people who do not walk the 'talk'?

I have been having a lot of thoughts about this subject, especially when it revolves around religion and the upbringing of children. I am a Christian and I do agree with the teachings of the bible. I do strongly support the spreading of the gospel even if it entails merely preaching. However, what puzzles and frustrates me most are the people who keep using God's name in vain. They seem to use God as an answer to EVERYTHING, even when it doesn't make sense for them to use God in that particular situation. I always find people who use the same ONE answer to everything somewhat unreliable and untrustworthy. Don't you ever wonder why they have to keep hiding behind one answer or one idea every time they find themselves at a loss without something certain they can hang on to?

No doubt I trust God and always pray to Him for help and guidance. But there is a fine line between asking God for help while pulling your own weight and just pushing your problems aside hoping that God would give you a  miracle just because you do not even try. And please don't use God as an excuse to make things go your way. Don't jump to the conclusion that someone is 'bad' or that God wouldn't like a particular action, activity or person because really, you are the ONE(and most probably the only one) who feels that way. First of all, I strongly believe that God above all, wouldn't stereotype or be prejudice against anyone, let alone jumping to conclusions.

Eg. 1: People who pushes their burdens to God but who do not pull their own weight.
Eg. 2: Self-righteous people who tries to play God by judging others so easily and harshly when the true teachings of God are to love , accept and forgive.
Eg. 3: People who blame others without taking a look at themselves.

I guess it is pretty easy to fall into any of the three categories mentioned above. At least I know that I am guilty of all three! LOL. My point in sharing this is just to make people (whoever reads this, most probably only Rachel haha) aware that actions really do speak louder than words and that the best way to prove your point or to spread your ideals/values is to just set an example personally by actions on a daily basis instead of preaching about it and judging others.

This is much easier said than done. It would take more than a mere moment of enlightenment to put whatever I shared into action. Firstly, it requires an open mind to be able to accept new perspectives and it takes even more time and experience to understand those perspectives and eventually  respecting them. It took me years to be able to see things from this point of view. I must say that my mind has widened a a lot since the teenager I was just a couple of years back.

However, although I still keep many of my previous ideals and beliefs from when I was a child. I must say that experiences really do mature you and increase your knowledge. Experience also makes you wiser (for most people at least..I hope haha). Thus, I don't see maturity coming with age, but maturity coming with experience coupled with the willingness to learn new things and to accept the different. I have come a long way and I have an even longer way to go so ...... CHEERIOS to me!!!

For the next subject I want to blog about under the same title, "Set by example, not words" would be about parents and their expectations of their children. So stay tuned!!!